News - Netherlands

Netherlands - March 2014

New developments in Dutch immigration law

Requirement for the registration of nationals of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland abolished

As of 1 January 2014, in anticipation of an amendment to the legislation, nationals of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland do no longer need to register with the Dutch Immigration Authorities (‘IND”) and obtain a confirmation sticker if they want to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months. A valid passport or identity card suffices to prove that these nationals are staying in the Netherlands legally. Some employers and companies still request these nationals to be provided with the confirmation sticker, although this is not necessary anymore. The IND has prepared a standard letter to explain the position in relation to nationals of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland.

Work permit for highly-skilled migrants who live abroad

Highly-skilled migrants are employees whose income lies above a certain level. They can obtain a residence permit as a highly-skilled migrant provided, amongst other things, that the salary requirement is met and that the employee will be living in the Netherlands for a period exceeding three months. A work permit is not required. Highly-skilled migrants who continued to live abroad while working in the Netherlands were not eligible for a residence permit as a highly-skilled migrant. As of 1 January 2014, employers of highly-skilled migrants, who remain resident in one of the EU-member states, can obtain a work permit under the following conditions:

  • The employee has a valid residence permit in the country where he is living
  • The employee is living in the other country while the work permit application is pending
  • The employer has been registered with the Immigration Authorities as a sponsor
  • The duration of the work to be performed exceeds a period of three months
  • The salary threshold for highly-skilled migrants is met (€ 4,048 gross per month, exclusive of holiday allowance for employees over the age of 30)
  • The employer must inform the Immigration Authorities as soon the employee does not have a residence permit in the other country anymore


In Dutch language:

News report from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service

Decree on foreign workers dated 7 March 2014

Regulation on the implementation of the Foreign Workers Act dated 24 January 2014

For further information or to discuss the consequences of the above, please contact Wendy Terporten on +31 10 224 6 434 at Loyens & Loeff Rotterdam


Content is for general information purposes only. The information provided is not intended to be comprehensive and it does not constitute or contain legal or other advice. If you require assistance in relation to any issue please seek specific advice relevant to your particular circumstances. In particular, no responsibility shall be accepted by the authors or by Abbiss Cadres LLP for any losses occasioned by reliance on any content appearing on or accessible from this article. For further legal information click here.

Circular 230 disclosure

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS and other taxing authorities, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this article (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


If you would like to copy or otherwise reproduce this article then you may do so provided that: (1) any such copy or reproduction is for your own personal use or if it is made available to any third party it is done so on a free of charge basis; and (2) the article is reproduced in full together with the contact details, disclaimer and any logos as they appear on each article.